If you are an Expert in MSI / InstallShield and interested in working on a very, very large install, you might want to check out this open position at CompassLearning. I interviewed with the team and I was extremely interested in the project but ultimately I had to turn the position down for mostly personal reasons.
Shoot me an email if you are interested and I’ll put you in contact with the hiring manager.
Job Title: Release Engineer
Description: Job description:
You will work closely as a member of the Build/Release team within CompassLearning Product Development organization in a dynamic, fast-paced environment where your abilities to multi-task, fire-fight, and your passion for automation and efficiency will help you excel at your job. You are highly self-directed and team oriented. Your initiative and flexibility in an ever changing environment will be critical to our success and our continued ability to scale. You will make an immediate difference at CompassLearning with your exceptional scripting abilities and your in-depth knowledge of installation and deployment processes. Most importantly, you will constantly be on the lookout for ways to streamline, enhance and automate release processes, and thus continue to refine and redefine your position.
• Design and develop installation packages in InstallShield.
• Manage source control activities including detailed access permissions, branching, labeling, development merges, and auditing.
• Set up and maintain lab for build machines and release engineering servers.
• Expertise writing installers – specifically Install Shield, and InstallShield Scripting
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or some other related discipline.
• At least 5+ years experience in build/release engineering and configuration management with thorough knowledge of all phases of the software development life cycle.
• Strong hands-on experience with shell scripting, Perl, DOS batch etc.
• Exposure to automation tools like Cruise Control
• 1-2 years of Java and/or C++
• Experience with databases – MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc.
• 1-2 years experience in building and delivering automation infrastructure implemented in .NET and Nant